Warning: This is not for the faint of heart!
1 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs
1 large onion, diced
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon fresh minced ginger
1-2 habanero or serrano pepper, minced
14 curry leaves, shredded(can find at Asian or Indian markets but may omit)
1 fresh lime, juice of
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon mace
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1-3 teaspoon ground red chili pepper
2 tablespoons salt
1. Cut up the chicken in bite size pieces and set aside. Mix all the spices together and put in a small bowl and set aside.
2. Put the olive oil in a hot wok or medium-sized cooking pot.
3. When oil is hot, add the onions and cook until golden. About 5 minutes on medium-high heat. Stirring occasionally.
4. Add the minced ginger and garlic to the onion and cook for 2 minutes. Continue cooking on medium-high heat. Stirring occasionally.
5. Add the habanero (or serrano) peppers to the onion mixture and cook for an additional 2 minutes. Stir.
6. Add the shredded curry leaves to the above mixture and stir well. Cook for an additional 1 minute.
7. Add the spice mixture to the pot and stir all ingredients well. Cook on the same medium-high heat for 1 minute.
8. Add the chicken to the pot and cook for 3 minutes on the same heat level.
9. Add 2 cups of water and put a lid on the pot and cook on medium heat for about 20 minutes. Stir occasionally.
10. Take the lid off the pot and cook the food on medium-high or high heat until most of the water evaporates and the chicken is well-cooked.
11. Once the water is mostly gone add the lime juice, stir and cook on high heat for 2 minutes.